As August comes to a close and the sun gently shines a hint of autumn light, I wanted to share a seasonal recipe that you may well fall in love with, too.
Welcome the very early reminder of the changing seasons with my delicious apple cake! It's a simple, sweet, and filling cake that is just perfect with a side of yogurt. I love this recipe as the star ingredient is the humble apple. This, paired with nutmeg and cinnamon, is a marriage in cake-heaven.
I hope you love this recipe and enjoy it with your friends and family, too.
- 2 eggs
- 5 medium apples (whatever type you have available)
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sultanas
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- oil of preference/butter for greasing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F). Allow the oven to warm up whilst you prep the cake mix.
2. Chop the apples (without peeling) and place them in a saucepan with boiled water. Cook until just soft.
3. Crack the eggs and beat them in a bowl before adding in the milk, whisking until everything is mixed.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients; the flour, sugar, spices, sultanas, salt and baking powder together. Then, add the wet ingredients to the dry mix, mixing everything together until thoroughly smooth.
5. Drain the apple pieces, once cooked, allowing them to drain before adding them to the mixture. Mix everything thoroughly.
6. Line a cake tin with parchment, greasing the sides with your choice of butter or any other oil of preference. Add the mix to the lined and greased tin. You can sprinkle some more sugar on top of the cake here, if you would like to. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
You can store these up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Tag us @charlottelizbth or email us email@example.com with your photos if you make our recipes!